These delicious blueberry waffles are perfect for brunch, topped with an easy and quick blueberry sauce!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (substitute coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 1 ¼ cups milk (substitute non-dairy milk for dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 recipe Quick Blueberry Sauce (see below recipe) for serving
- Greek yogurt for serving (optional)
- Preheat the waffle iron to the high heat setting.
- In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and kosher salt until thoroughly combined. In another bowl, whisk the egg. Then stir in the melted butter, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Stir in the blueberries.
- Immediately, add the batter into the center of the waffle iron and let it spread it to within 1/2-inch of the sides, then cook according to the waffle iron’s instructions. Remove the cooked waffles and place them on a baking sheet without stacking. Make the waffles to order, or place cooked waffles in a 300°F oven to keep warm. Serve with Quick Blueberry Sauce.
- Cooked waffles can be frozen; place them in a plastic bag and remove the remaining air with a straw before sealing. To reheat, remove from the freezer and lightly toast in a toaster.
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Place the blueberries, sugar, and ¼ cup water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Bring to a low boil, then cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the blueberries begin to break down, mashing them with a wooden spoon. Make sure not to let the pot boil over.
- Place the cornstarch in a small bowl and mix with 2 tablespoons water. Add it to the sauce and simmer for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and salt. The sauce will thicken even more as it cools. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving (store up to 1 week refrigerated).